Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Stuff, stuff, and stuff. And then a riff about pacing.

Right, so descriptive. But you know, when I've been as lax with the postings as I have been, there's just no catch-all topic quite as accurate as "stuff." So, here's what happened. 1. We sold our house. It was dicey, actually, because there was yet another money snafu, but it all worked out in the end and I only own one house now. That's good stuff. 2. We took this really great day trip to Iowa City, and honest to God, I meant to blog about how fun it was, but I got busy. And now it's just sort of a collage of niceness floating in my head. There was a great moment where Anna played in the ped mall fountain in her street clothes which I should blog about eventually. 3. Been writing. Lots. More later. 4. Dan has been uber childwatching husband. He gets gold stars. (Smooches, honey.) You know, that's all that's sticking in my head. Except to go to the back yard, I cannot remember when I last left the house. Saturday, I guess. Wow, that's impressive. Yeah, I think that may have been it, though I think I maybe went out for something Sunday night. Mostly it's me in my office and my laptop. So, about pacing. Because honestly, I'm so single minded for writing these days that not much else lingers in my brain. And tonight I"m thinking about pacing. Specifically, I'm thinking about how nicely the beginning of the WIP is shaping up. Allow me to babble about it. I haven't actually written the first two scenes yet, but they will be heroine, then hero, respectively, in their "special worlds," setting up their conflicts. There's a scene with the two of them together, and it may be a little chatty, but she does pull him out of a lake and drag him towards the abbey until he passes out, so there's some action. And now I'm taking a small risk and slowing it down. I really haven't done the inciting incident yet, but I've got two more POV characters to introduce, which is the next two scenes, plus I really think I have to get the antaonist and the hero head to head, and THEN, in scene seven, we get the inciting incident, or the start of it. Or that's just a turning point, and the inciting incident is in scene three. Really, at this point it just seems to be working, so I'm not going to dig too hard. I am, however, amazed at how I'm bopping all over the map in this revision. I started at the end this weekend, wrote/revised eight scenes in the climax, then jumped to scene three. It's interesting to work that way, because there's stuff in the end that I"m putting in the beginning now -- not always consciously, but I often write something and think, "Hey, that echoes the end!" Which is cool. And it occurs to me now that anybody not intimately interested in writing process may be asleep by now. Well, now you know why I'm not blogging much these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home