Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Rule, Britannia

It's been very British around our house lately.  Anna's favorite shows are Thomas the Train and Bob the Builder.  Dan's ordering the UK edition of Titanic on DVD and pining after Kylie Minogue.  In addition to writing about England in the early 1800s, I'm researching the British Royal Navy like mad, watching my front porch for the delivery of the Doctor Who tape from Canada of the Christmas Invasion, and being rather depressed that there isn't a third series of Spaced out just yet.  Also, we're planning a trip to Europe in April, and a full week of the three will be spent in good old Albion.

You know, I've always had a thing for Britain, and lately I've been trying to decide why.  These days it's easy to pine for Anywhere But Here, but more of that is the fallacy of Utopia than anything else. 

Though I think what gets me is that even the "simple" in Britain don't seem to fall into ideology and fanaticism en masse, and that's what we seem in for here.  I'm so weary of the US being one big magnetic polarity field, zealots on all sides, and nobody but nobody successfully holding up the middle.  I watch Spaced and think, I want a flat in that building, too.

I keep thinking of the book I just finished: To Rule the Waves, which is a history of the British Royal Navy which really becomes the history of Britain through its navy.  It really sobered me, making me realize how it doesn't seem to matter how long a lens we have on history or how pervasively we study ourselves, each civilization which rises to high power is doomed in the end by their own height and what is apparently an irresistible urge to look up instead of out, to protect the pinnacle rather than use the pinnacle to give back and realize that being on the top isn't being in charge but being the one who gives the most.

I don't think there's a civilization ideally suited to this charge, but I have to say, if I got to vote I'd give it back to Britain.  Actually, I'd really like it if Everybody or Nobody was "they key power," but we really don't appear to be advanced enough as a species for that sort of open end.  Chaos would ensue.

So I guess in the end I'll just be really glad for amazon.com.uk, region free DVD players, and friends who know where the good Brit TV is.  Also, for marrying a husband whose income supports trips to Europe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home