Friday, January 06, 2006

All hail the Doctor

Right -- so, my daughter has started going to preschool daily as of the first of the year.  This translates to two full hours of writing time every morning, and I was determined to be good.  I was, mostly -- Wednesday (first day back) I made notecards.  Yesterday I brainstormed.  Today I watched the last fifteen minutes of The Christmas Invasion repeatedly, freeze framing shamelessly.  (I adore .avi files.)

You know, that latter still was work, and so is this journal entry.  Seriously.  Because for part of it I listened to the audio commentary from the web (again) by the writer and producers (the brilliant Russell T was there), and doing that was writing work.  I'm not sure why yet, but all I know is that I stared at that horrible blank screen and blinking cursor, unable to start act two, so I watched the end of TCI again and felt like if I wrote this journal entry, then I'd be all set and able to write.

I think it's because that story is such DAMN GOOD STORY.  My poor friends -- come February when there's a US release, I'm going to be terrible.  I think I'm going to buy it for my dad for his birthday, which is in March.  But it is, it really really is.  And I just wasn't sure at all about Tennant -- I was so in love with Eccelston, but oh, Tennant defied logic and reason and was instantly even better. 

What is it about the Doctor?  Is it because he's so competent and yet so childlike?  I've never seen anybody be 900 years old and have that kind of energy and vitality and love of life.  I think that's why Tennant is so fabulous, because Eccleston was GREAT but so sad and down because he had to be, given what he had to do to Gallifrey, and he really loved life, but he seemed to love everybody's life but his own.  Until the end.  And now we have Tennant, who looks ready to dance his way across the screen for the rest of time.

But I think the biggest reason I love Tennant is because of the "Attack of the Graske."  I know Eccelston was big into this show being for the kids, and oh, he's my first Doctor so he will always always always be sacred, but after I watched the Graske ep which was so obviously geared for kids -- well, you could just tell Tennant would have been one of the little boys gleefully pressing the remote, glad to be the Doctor's companion for ten minutes.  And he both takes such care in the role and yet so clearly ADORES it, revels in it.  I hope he never leaves.  I hope he's on for twenty years.  I know he won't be, but oh, I adore him.  He's so fabulous.

Also, cute as hell.  That doesn't hurt at all.

Davies, though -- he's my main man.  He has officially gone on the list of People I Need To Hug Before I Die.  We're heading to England in the spring, and I'm trying to find the right argument for a day trip to Cardiff.  As I'm getting my husband hooked on Who as well, it may not be as hard a sell as I think.  I know I won't see Davies, but I just want to go stand near his aura for awhile.  I'm sure I'd embarass myself if I ran into him, because I'd probably just start crying.  But my God, he takes such CARE.  I've never seen anybody love story like him.  Yeah, I hear the critics who say he makes logic leaps.  Oh, probably.  But this man put a SWORD FIGHT in TCI.  Ohmygod I about died.  And he set the whole episode up to help eight year old boys adjust to a new Doctor, and made sure to put in references and little details.  And gets excited because the wardrobe people made Jackie and Rose's outfits clash, because that suits their personalities and their dynamic.  He loves the story, loves his characters, and loves his audience and takes care of them all.  Plus he's brilliantly intelligent and knows it but doesn't gloat.  God, I need to at least shake his hand.  And sob on it.

And now to work with me.  But look!  Three blogs in one week.  Go, me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home